Getting Started with Contact Management
Congratulations - you just started your first Zengine trial to manage your contacts. Let's get started.
The contact management template lets you quickly and easily organize all of your contacts or those for your organization. As designed you can use it to create a simple listing of people you deal with and categorize them by type (vendor, customer, partner) and further categorize customers by status (prospect, current customer). You can also add to or modify the structure and make your contact management system even more robust.
Once you’ve set up the app and begun populating it with your contacts, it’s easy to collaborate with other users within your organization so that your data is centralized. Your entire team can then keep the information fresh and track activity/tasks associated with a contact.
The template consists of three forms / data tables:
- Contact Form: the primary form where you would enter the contact information
- It consists of a place to enter a first name, last name, company name and so on.
- Category Form: each contact can be categorized to indicate what type of contact they are; this list of choices is kept in the Category form
- We provide a short list of options by default (Customer, Vendor, Partner) but you can add to this list, remove items from this list and/or modify them.
- Customer Status Form: in case some of your contacts are customers, we created a second way to categorize a contact this is based on data in a Customer Status form
- We have started by providing 3 different potential statuses - Lead, Prospect, Customer...but you can add or change these also.
Note in both cases - with Categories and Customer Status:
You can remove these forms and the fields that link to them from the Contact form if you don’t need to track this data.
You could remove them and turn them into dropdown lists inside the form itself, but for flexibility, we designed the templates with this data being held within a linked form.
The following is an overview of the template and suggestions for getting started with it.
Your workspace will first look like this:
Below are some steps to help you get started in the workspace.
- Add your first contact: Click the green '+Add Contact' button to add your first contact to the workspace
- Update a contact: Click on a contact in the spreadsheet and review/update the data. See if you like the links to categories and customer status.
- Customize forms to track items important to your business:
- If you plan to keep the categories and customer status, add items to these forms if you need to. If you want to delete items from these forms you may have to first delete all the sample data as it won’t let you delete the “vendor” item if you have any contacts marked as vendors. You can always change or add to the structure. For instance, you could add a company form so you could link multiple contacts to one company. Or you could remove the “customer status” form if you don’t need it.
- Learn more about building forms.
- Create personalized views of your contacts:
- When viewing the data grid, you can create custom views to parse your data according to your business needs.
- Learn more about creating views.
- Import data from other systems:
- You can import existing data in .CSV format by clicking on “Form Tools.”
- Do more with plugins:
- You can enhance your system by adding one or more plugins. For the contact management app you will likely want to add one or more search plugins from our plugin marketplace.
- For example, you might find the Record Name Search and the Search By Field plugins useful.